Making the perfect pie crust is easy and inexpensive.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup well-chilled butter
1 tablespoon well-chilled shortening
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
- In a food processor add flour, sugar and salt.
- Next add well chilled butter and well chilled shortening.
- Pulse 3 to 4 times for 2 to 3 seconds each time, until crumbly.
- In a small bowl blend egg yolk and water.
- Pour over the flour mixture in the food processor and pulse 2 to 4 times, for 2 to 3 seconds each time, until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl and clings together.
- Now remove the dough, cover and chill for a 1/2 hour.
- Flour your work surface and rolling pin when working the dough.
- Roll to desired size.
Makes 1 (9-inch) single pie crust.
Tip: Recipe can be doubled for a 2-crust pie.
Recipe provided courtesy of SummerKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.