A pastry crust is filled with a mousse-like lemon cream and topped with fresh strawberries.
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust*
2 pints strawberries, washed and dried
1/2 cup milk
1 (3.5-ounce) package package unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Hull and cut strawberries in half. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- In a saucepan, combine milk with unflavored gelatin. Stir together over low heat gradually stirring in sugar until completely dissolved. Add the grated lemon peel and juice from the lemon.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, whip cream to stiff peaks and fold in the cooled gelatin mixture. Spoon into a 9-inch pie crust and cover with the strawberries.
- Chill until firm, then dust lightly with powdered sugar before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.