Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie 3
The natural pairing of rhubarb and strawberries—sweet and tart—is perfect for those who find other pies too sweet.
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon butter
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
8 whole strawberries, rinsed and dried - for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg; mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine rhubarb and strawberries. Spoon the rhubarb/strawberry mixture into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell. Pour egg mixture on top and dot with butter. Top with a lattice crust, crimping edges.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Fill the openings in the lattice crust with whole strawberries.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.