Strawberry Glacé Pie
This classic spring and summertime pie has a coconut pastry crust filled with lemony, sweetened cream cheese topped with glazed whole strawberries.
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 (3.5-ounce) package cream cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Topping and Glaze:
2 pints strawberries, rinsed, dried and hulled - divided use
Water as needed
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Crust: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Blend in egg yolk, then stir in flour and coconut. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate; flute the edges and prick bottom with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For Filling: In a bowl cream sugar with cream cheese and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Spread into pie shell.
- For Topping and Glaze: Arrange enough strawberries, tops down, to cover cream cheese filling. Refrigerate.
- Mash and strain remaining strawberries. Add enough water to the strawberry juice to measure 1 1/2 cups; add sugar and cornstarch. Bring to a boil in a small saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Cool completely.
- Spoon cooled glaze over strawberries and chill pie for 2 hours.
- Top individual servings of pie with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.