Strawberry Lemondrift Pie
This pie is brimming over with springtime flavor! A creamy lemon filling is topped with red, ripe fresh strawberries and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust*
2 pint baskets California strawberries - divided use
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups whipping cream
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Wash, dry and stem strawberries, cover and chill.
- For Filling: In 1-quart saucepan combine milk and gelatin; set aside 5 minutes.
- Stir sugar into milk/gelatin mixture and place saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel and juice. Cool to room temperature, then chill until syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl whip cream to form stiff peaks.
- Fold gelatin mixture into whipped cream to blend thoroughly. Spoon into pie baked crust, mounding top.
- Halve the chilled strawberries and cover filling with strawberries. Chill pie until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, dust lightly with powdered sugar.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Adapted recipe and photograph provided courtesy California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved.