Strawberry Patch Pie
This fresh strawberry and gelatin pie has a unique meringue and saltine cracker crumb crust.
3 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 saltine crackers, crushed
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups crushed strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 (0.25-ounce) package unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
3 cups whole strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Crust: In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
- In another bowl combine together sugar and mace, then add one tablespoon at a time to the egg whites, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together crushed crackers, baking powder, and chopped walnuts. Fold into egg white mixture. Spoon into a buttered 9-inch pie pan, pushing the mixture to conform to the shape of the pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine crushed strawberries, sugar and grated lemon peel.
- In a saucepan soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. Cook over low heat gently and stir to dissolve the gelatin. Remove from heat and add to crushed berry mixture and chill until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Spread half the gelatin mixture over the bottom of the cooled crust. Arrange whole strawberries, stem end down and close together, over gelatin. Carefully spoon the remaining crushed berry mixture around the whole berries. Chill until firm.
Makes 8 servings.