Tofu Pumpkin Pie
Using tofu as the binder, this vegan version of pumpkin pie is both egg and dairy-free.
1 (12-ounce) box extra firm silken tofu
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
2 tablespoons soybean (vegetable) oil
2 tablespoons dark molasses
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash ground cloves
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
Non-dairy whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a blender or food processor, blend tofu, pumpkin, oil, and molasses until smooth. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, and cloves until blended.
- Pour into unbaked crust.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is puffed around the edges.
- Chill 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve topped with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.