Whole-Grain Pie Crust
with Libby's® Famous Pumpkin Pie Filling
Get the traditional pumpkin pie taste without using the same, traditional crust. Instead use this whole-grain crust, for a guilty-free way to enjoy that extra slice of pie!
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 to 3 tablespoons very cold water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 (15-ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
Whipped cream or topping (optional)
- For Crust: Combine flour, ground oats, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork until mixture holds together.
- Shape dough into ball; place on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper; roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate; slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired.
- For Filling: Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F (175ºC); bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream or topping before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
- Substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for a finer textured, flakier pie crust.
- Oats can be finely ground in a food processor or blender.
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different.
Note: Do not freeze, as this will cause crust to separate from the filling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 300; Calories from Fat. 110; Total Fat 13g; Saturated Fat 8g; Cholesterol 90mg; Sodium 410mg; Carbohydrates 40g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 26g; Protein 8g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.