California-Style Grilled Pizzetta
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 cups roasted red bell peppers, sliced into 2-inch strips
2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
2 cups California Ripe Olives, halved
1 1/2 cups arugula, thinly sliced into ribbons
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together water, yeast, sugar and 1 cup of flour evenly combined. Allow to rest in a warm environment for 10 to 15 minutes until mixture begins to look bubbly on top.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt, then knead in flour 1 cup at a time. Cover bowl, and allow dough to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, punch down and transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 6 (4 to 5-ounce) pieces and shape into balls. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then, using a rolling pin, flatten each ball into a thin 7-inch disc.
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Brush each disc with remaining olive oil, then slide onto grill (oil side down). Cook for 3 to 4 minutes over high heat, then transfer to a clean cutting board or plate with the cooked side facing up. Top each pizzetta crust with 1/2 cup of roasted peppers, 2 ounces of mozzarella and 1/3 cup of California Ripe Olives.
- Slide onto grill, cover and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes until dough is crisp and cheese is melted.
- Remove to a clean cutting board, sprinkle with arugula and cut into quarters.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 553; Total Fat: 22g; Cholesterol: 34mg; Total Carbs: 71g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 18g; Sodium: 645mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.