Mediterranean Tofu Flatbread
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.
1 (12-ounce) package Italian-flavored baked tofu, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely diced roasted red peppers
1/4 cup finely diced Kalamata olives
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 tablespoon finely grated Pecorino Romano
2 pounds prepared pizza dough
1/2 cup basil pesto
4 to 6 large tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In medium bow, combine tofu, red peppers, olives, cheese and oregano.
- Divide pizza dough in fourths and roll out each fourth to a 10 to 12-inch circle.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over 4 large cookie sheets. Place pizza rounds on the cornmeal-covered cookie sheets.
- Spread pesto on pizza dough. Then spread the tofu mixture evenly on the pizza rounds. Top with tomato slices, overlapping them to completely cover the tofu mixture.
- Bake until crust is nicely browned and tomatoes have softened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, top with basil, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 (10 to 12-inch) round flatbreads or about 8 servings.
Note: If you do not have two ovens, you can bake the pizzas two at a time, or divide the recipe in half.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.