Pear Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Prosciutto
Recipe courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 (4-inch) individual size prepared pizza crusts
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 medium size, ripe Bartlett pears, cored and sliced
1/4 cup chopped prosciutto
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes, or until onions are very soft and golden brown. Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place pizza crusts on a large baking sheet and top with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, pears, prosciutto, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Top with thyme and let cool slightly.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 548; Total Fat: 25g; Cholesterol: 78mg; Total Carbs: 56g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 28g; Sodium: 1003mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.