Personal Beef Pizzas
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Italian Style Beef Sausage:
1 pound 80% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/6 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cup pizza sauce
4 round thin sandwich breads, any variety, split
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Sliced black or green olives
Sliced red or yellow bell peppers
Sliced red onions
- For Italian-Style Beef Sausage: Combine ground beef and seasonings in a large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Stir in pizza sauce; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Keep warm and set aside.
- For Pizzas: Place sandwich thins, cut sides up, on rack of broiler pan. Spoon equal amounts of beef mixture on each bread half. Evenly sprinkle with cheese and toppings, as desired.
- Place pizzas on rack of broiler pan so surface of cheese is 3 to 4-inch from heat. Broil 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 424; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 85mg; Total Carbs: 31g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 848mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.