Steaked-Out Pita Pizzas
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound boneless beef shoulder center steaks (Ranch) or boneless top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
2/3 cup reduced-fat non-creamy Caesar dressing - divided use
4 whole wheat pita breads
3/4 cup shredded reduce-fat Italian cheese blend - divided use
6 cups loosely packed chopped romaine lettuce (about 6 ounces)
1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Combine beef and 1/3 cup dressing in medium bowl; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Place pita breads slightly overlapping on metal baking sheet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese on each pita.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes or until pitas are toasted and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, remove beef from marinade, draining well; discard marinade. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Toss lettuce, tomatoes and remaining 1/2 cup cheese in large bowl. Add beef and remaining 1/3 cup dressing; toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide beef mixture evenly over pitas. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 432; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 40g; Sodium: 915mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.