Baby Back Ribs Baked with Sauerkraut
Start preparing this dish a few hours before serving time—long, slow cooking is the key to perfect tenderness.
1 (32-ounce) package refrigerated sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
4 cups shredded red cabbage
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon paprika - divided use
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
3 pounds pork baby back ribs, trimmed of fat
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Combine sauerkraut, cabbage, 1 tablespoon of the paprika, garlic, and tomatoes in a 10 x 15 x 1-inch baking pan; spread out in an even layer.
- Arrange ribs on sauerkraut mixture, curved side up; sprinkle with pepper and 2 teaspoons of the remaining paprika. Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix remaining 2 teaspoons paprika with crumbs. Uncover pan, turn ribs over, and sprinkle with paprika mixture; continue to bake, uncovered, until meat is very tender when pierced and crumbs are brown, about 20 more minutes.
- To serve, cut ribs apart and arrange in a serving bowl with sauerkraut mixture.
Makes 4 servings.