Baked Rigatoni and Ham
Your family will love this delicious pasta casserole featuring rigatoni and ham in a creamy bechamel sauce with provolone and Parmesan cheeses and a buttery bread crumb topping. A wonderful recipe for using leftover holiday ham.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 cups warm milk
12 ounces rigatoni or mostaccioli
2 cups finely chopped fully-cooked ham
2 cups shredded provolone cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup packed soft bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the 1/2 cup butter and then stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until smooth. Add milk, stirring constantly. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, cooking until sauce thickens, about 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Cook rigatoni al dente (firm to the bite) or according to package directions; drain well.
- Combine sauce with the cooked and drained rigatoni. Place half of the pasta mixture in a well-greased 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with evenly with the ham and half the cheeses. Top with remaining half of pasta mixture and then the cheeses.
- Toss the 2 tablespoons butter with the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until hot and top is lightly browned. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.