Braised Sauerkraut with Smoked Pork Chops
Smoked pork chops braised with sauerkraut, potatoes, tomatoes, herb and spices.
6 smoked pork chops (each about 1-inch thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (32-ounce) package refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves, sliced
6 bay leaves
10 whole black peppercorns
4 medium russet potatoes peeled, cut in half lengthwise
2 large tomatoes, peeled, quartered
3 cups water
- Boil smoked pork chops in large pot of water 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Arrange half of sauerkraut in bottom of Dutch oven. Sprinkle with sliced garlic, bay leaves and whole peppercorns. Arrange pork chops, potato pieces and quartered tomatoes over. Cover with remaining sauerkraut.
- Pour water over all and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and boil until most of liquid evaporates and potatoes are
tender, about 20 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Cover and let stand 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Transfer pork chops, potatoes and tomatoes to large serving platter. Cut potatoes into serving-size pieces. Spoon sauerkraut and any remaining liquid in Dutch oven onto center of serving platter. Arrange pork chops, potatoes and tomatoes around sauerkraut and serve.
Makes 6 servings.