Caribbean Jerk Pork Roast
The variety of spices give this pork roast plenty of flavor and spicy heat. Be sure to plan for leftovers, two sandwich ideas are included with this recipe. Serve with baked sweet potatoes, steamed green beans and fresh fruit salad sprinkled with shredded coconut.
1 (3-pound) boneless pork loin roast
1 tablespoon dried onion
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons crushed thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
- Pat roast dry with paper toweling.
- Blend seasonings and rub evenly over pork roast.
- Place in shallow pan and roast at 350°F (175°C) for 45 to 60 minutes, until internal temperature registers 155°F (approximately 65°C).
- Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes (temperature will rise about 5 degrees Fahrenheit upon resting). Slice and serve.
- Wrap leftovers well and refrigerate for tomorrow's sandwiches.
Makes 8 servings.
Caribbean BBQ Sandwiches: Thinly slice pork roast and heat in a shallow saucepan with your favorite barbecue sauce -- doctor the sauce with a splash or two of hot-pepper sauce. Serve on sandwich buns.
Spicy Jerk Roll-Ups: Thinly slice cold pork roast. Mix together 1 8-ounce container fat-free cream cheese with two chopped green onions and 2 teaspoons chili powder. Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on an 8-inch flour tortilla, top with chopped lettuce, thinly-sliced tomatoes and sliced pork. Roll up tightly and eat out of hand, spooning on your favorite salsa.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 162 calories Protein 24 grams Fat 6 grams Sodium 219 milligrams Cholesterol 66 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.