Country-Fried Pork & Peppers
Smothered with sautéed peppers, these cornmeal-dredged and fried pork cutlets go country-fried steak one better. Serve with coleslaw and mashed potatoes.
4 boneless pork rib end chops, 3/4-inch thick
6 tablespoons cornmeal
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium green bell pepper, cut in strips
1 medium sweet red bell pepper, cut in strips
- Pound pork to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Blend well the cornmeal, flour, paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper and cumin.
- Dip pork in water; allow excess water to drip off. Coat with cornmeal mixture on both sides.
- In large skillet heat olive oil. Cook pork over medium heat for 4 minutes. Turn over and add pepper strips to skillet. Cook 4 more minutes or until pork is nicely browned and just slightly pink in the center. Remove pork from skillet.
- Cook peppers in skillet drippings 1 to 2 minutes more if necessary until tender. Serve pork with peppers.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 260 calories Protein 24 grams Fat 10 grams Sodium 270 milligrams Cholesterol 65 milligrams Saturated Fat 2 grams Carbohydrates 19 grams Fiber 0 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.