Fiesta Pork Roast
Bring out the festive mood of your guests. Serve this flavorful roast with roasted new potatoes, glazed carrots, green salad and a pound cake with orange icing.
6 to 7 pound pork loin roast
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups water
8 small whole onions, peeled
8 small oranges, peeled
3/4 cup currant jelly
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Combine salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper. Sprinkle on pork roast; rub into roast. Place roast in shallow roasting pan; insert meat thermometer. Roast at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour. Add water to pan. Place onions around roast. Combine currant jelly and hot pepper sauce; brush on roast and onions.
- Continue to roast for 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 155°F to 160°F (approximately 65°C to 70°C). Remove roast; let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, add oranges to hot liquid in pan; heat thoroughly.
- Remove onions and oranges; keep warm.
- To make gravy, combine 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup water; mix until smooth. Bring pan liquid to a boil; gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook and stir until thickened.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 232 calories Protein 27 grams Fat 6 grams Sodium 464 milligrams Cholesterol 66 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.