Grilled Spareribs with Plum Barbecue Sauce
Plum jam makes a wonderful barbecue sauce that matches perfectly with spareribs.
6 pounds pork spare ribs, trimmed and cut into serving pieces
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
4 to 6 thin lemon slices
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 cups plum jam
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange ribs, slightly overlapping, in large roasting pan. Layer onion and lemon slices over ribs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until ribs are tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan saute onions and garlic in oil until onion has softened. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare outdoor grill with medium coals, or heat gas grill to medium.
- Place ribs on grill; brush with sauce. Grill, covered, turning often and brushing with sauce, for 15 minutes or until crisped
- If needed, heat remaining sauce for dipping and serve with ribs.
Makes 6 servings.
To Broil: Heat broiler. Brush rubs with sauce. Place on greased broiler-pan rack. Broil 8 minutes. Turn ribs over; brush with more sauce. Broil for 7 minutes or until crisped.