Grilled San Antonio Leg of Pork
Show your guests a little leg. This fresh leg of pork roast is a great way to welcome the summer grilling season. Serve with grilled vegetables and fresh seasonal fruit.
3 1/2 to 4 pounds fresh leg of pork
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
1/2 cup grape jelly
2 teaspoons chili powder
- Prepare medium-hot banked fire in kettle-style grill.
- Season pork roast with salt and pepper. Grill over indirect heat, not directly over fire, in covered grill for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (about 18 to 20 minutes per pound).
- Meanwhile, stir together barbecue sauce, jelly and chili powder.
- The last 30 minutes, start basting with sauce mixture every 5 to 10 minutes until internal temperature of roast, measured with a meat thermometer, reads 150°F to 155°F (approximately 65°C).
- Remove roast from grill and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.