Hearty Ribs and Bean Bake
Warm up with a hearty, satisfying meal of oven-braised, thick and meaty country-style ribs with two types of beans.
3 to 3 1/2 pounds pork country style ribs
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
3 cups cooked*, drained small white beans or 2 (16-ounce) cans, drained
3 cups cooked*, drained red kidney beans or 2 (16-ounce) cans, drained
1 to 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
1 sweet red or green pepper, cut in thin strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place ribs in 13 x 9-inch baking dish; add 1/4 cup water. Cover tightly and bake for 1 1/4 hours; remove to absorbent paper. Pour off cooking liquid and reserve.
- Combine tomato sauce, onion soup mix, brown sugar, prepared mustard and hot pepper sauce in small saucepan and cook slowly 10 minutes.
- Remove excess fat from cooking liquid; add enough water to remaining liquid to make 1 cup. Stir into tomato sauce mixture.
- Combine small white and red kidney bean mixture into baking dish. Arrange ribs on top of bean mixture; brush with sauce. Cover tightly and bake at 350°F (175°C), 30 to 45 minutes; remove to warm platter.
Makes 6 servings.
*For best results, soak and cook dry beans by preferred method.
Recipe provided courtesy Calilfornia Dry Bean Board.