Once everything is cut, trimmed and prepped, this dish is quick to put together.
1/2 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons cornstarch - divided use
3 tablespoons soy sauce - divided use
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 pound fresh broccoli, trimmed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 tablespoon slivered fresh ginger root
1 onion, chunked and separated
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
Hot cooked rice or pasta
- Coat pork strips with mixture of 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and soy sauce, sugar and garlic. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 4 teaspoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons soy sauce with red pepper flakes and 1 1/4 cups water.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size flowerets and stems into thin slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in hot wok or large skillet over high heat. Add pork and stir-fry 2 minutes; remove.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pan. Add ginger, stir-fry 30 seconds. Add onion and broccoli; stir-fry 4 minutes.
- Stir in pork, tomatoes and soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Makes 6 servings.
*If fresh ginger is not available, substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 354 calories Protein 16 grams Fat 10 grams Sodium 750 milligrams Cholesterol 23 milligrams Saturated Fat 2 grams Carbohydrates 50 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.