Maple-Mustard Glazed Spareribs
These slow-grilled spareribs have a golden glaze of mustard and maple syrup. Serve with creamy potato salad and/or coleslaw, deviled eggs and hot corn muffins.
4 pounds spareribs
Salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple-flavored syrup
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle spareribs with salt.
- Tie pickling spice in cheesecloth and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook onion in oil until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cheesecloth packet, syrup, vinegar, water, mustard and pepper; simmer 20 minutes. Remove cheesecloth.
- Prepare medium banked fire in covered kettle-style grill.
- Grill ribs over indirect heat 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender. During last 5 minutes of grilling, brush ribs occasionally with maple glaze, turning to glaze evenly.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.