Oven Barbecued Baby Back Ribs
Make parties effortless by preparing succulent oven barbecued ribs. Tender bits of pork, awash in a clove-scented tomato-based sauce slide from the bones of this piquant but savory sauce.
4 whole cloves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 bay leaves
3 1/2 pounds baby back ribs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon Worcestershsire sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried savory
1/8 teaspoon smoke flavoring
1/8 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- Tie cloves, garlic and bay leaves together in a cheesecloth bag or tea strainer; set aside.
- Put ribs and spices in a large, deep saucepan with water to cover. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; drain water, discard spices. Set meat aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a medium skillet; sauté onion until tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, light corn syrup, Worcestershire sauce, savory, smoke flavoring and liquid hot pepper sauce. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. During this time preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove tomato mixture from heat; puree sauce in a food processor or blender. Transfer sauce to a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Place ribs in a shallow, oven-safe pan (such as a 13x9x2-inch baking pan); baste with the sauce. Bake for about 30 minutes. Baste often, until ribs are browned. Place baking pan onto a shallow oven rack and broil for 3 minutes to achieve a glazed appearance.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: After last basting discard any remaining basting sauce. If, however you want to serve remaining sauce as a table sauce it must be boiled before being served.