Pork 'n Peppers
Moist heat cooking (braising) creates a tender and savory pork roast. Complete the meal with a mixed green salad and warm Italian bread.
1 (2-pound) pork sirloin roast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 (10-ounce) jar whole salad peppers, drained (pepperoncini)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, crushed
2 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red sweet red pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
8 ounces fettuccine or spaghetti, cooked and drained
- In kettle or Dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil on all sides. Drain off any excess fat.
- Seed and slice pepperoncini peppers. Add onion, sliced peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning and 1 cup of the broth to kettle. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add red pepper strips; cook 15 minutes more.
- Remove meat from kettle.
- Stir together the remaining 1 cup broth and cornstarch. Add to pepper mixture in kettle. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute more.
- Slice meat to serve with hot pasta and pepper sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.