Pork and Barley Skillet Supper
Barley makes this dish a hardy skillet dish. Complete the meal with fruit salad and rye bread.
4 boneless pork chops, 1-inch thick
3 teaspoons olive oil - divided use
3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
1 cup celery, sliced
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
1 (2 1/2-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup parsley, minced
- In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil; add chops and brown on each side. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil; add barley and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until celery is tender.
- Add broth, corn, peppers, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; lower heat and cook, uncovered, for 20 mintues.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley. Place chops on top of mixture; bake covered in a 350°F (175°C). oven to for 20 minutes until barley is tender.
- To serve, arrange chops on large serving platter. Spoon barley mixture onto the platter. Sprinkle the chops and barley mixture with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 378 calories; Protein: 29 grams; Fat: 12 grams; Sodium: 1091 milligrams; Cholesterol: 57 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Carbohydrates: 42 grams; Fiber: 5 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.