Pork Spareribs and Sauerkraut
Celebrate Oktoberfest with—or simply enjoy—these slow-roasted German-style spareribs and sauerkraut with bacon and caraway seed.
1 (32-ounce) package refrigerated sauerkraut
8 cups hot water
2 teaspoons paprika
6 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds pork spareribs
10 strips of bacon
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Rinse and drain sauerkraut then place in a large baking dish.
- Add hot water, paprika, beef bouillon cubes, caraway seed and pepper.
- Place pork spareribs on top.
- Bake covered, in 300°F (150°C) oven for 3 to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle 10 strips of bacon with flour. Place in a skillet over medium-high heat cook until crisp. Crumble into the sauerkraut.
- Remove any bones from the ribs before serving.
Makes 6 servings.