Slow-Cooked Barbecued Pork
This slow-cooked barbecue pork roast gets dressed up with Italian seasonings and an exotic addition of pineapple. Leftovers make great sandwiches the next day.
3 pound boneless pork loin roast
2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
- For sauce, combine undrained pineapple, barbecue sauce, chili sauce, orange peel, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add pork roast. Cook until brown on all sides, turning to brown evenly.
- Place pork roast in 3 1/2, 4, or 5-quart slow cooker. (If necessary, cut roast to fit cooker.) Pour sauce over roast; turn roast to coat. Cook on high-heat setting 4 to 4 1/2 hours or on low-heat setting 6 to 7 hours.
- Remove roast from cooker; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve sauce with sliced meat, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 213 calories Protein 23 grams Fat 8 grams Sodium 593 milligrams Cholesterol 64 milligrams Saturated Fat 3 grams Carbohydrates 11 grams Fiber 1 gram.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.