Stir-Fried Pork and Asparagus with Oyster Sauce
Asian-style pork and asparagus stir-fry flavored with fresh ginger and oyster sauce.
1/2 pound pork steak
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon peanut oil
8 ounces asparagus spears, sliced on the diagonal
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
- Slice pork steak across the grain into 1/8 x 2-inch strips. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a wok heat peanut oil on a high heat until it just begins to smoke. Drop in pork strips and stir-fry about 1 minute, or until no longer pink.
- Add sliced asparagus spears and stir-fry briskly for 1 minute.
- Add grated gingerroot, chicken broth, and sugar; stirring constantly. When the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium, add oyster sauce, cover, and simmer for about 1 minute, or until the asparagus is cooked but still firm.
- Uncover, raise the heat, and push the pork mixture up the sides of the pan. Dribble in a paste made by combining cornstarch and water; stir continuously until the liquid thickens. Stir the pork mixture into the sauce.
Makes 4 servings.