Sweet and Sour Pork
Serve this flavorful sweet and sour pork dish over hot cooked rice.
1 pound pork, cubed
Salt to taste
1/2 egg white, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons cornstarch - divided use
2 tablespoons water
3 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon tomato puree
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
2 slices pineapple, cubed
- Sprinkle pork with salt, dip in egg white and dust with 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch; set aside.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, orange juice and tomato paste until well blended; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. When hot, add pork and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain away half of the oil. Add onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add red pepper and pineapple. Continue to stir-fry for another minute. Pour in the sauce and stir until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return pork to the wok and mix with sauce over medium heat for 1 1/2 minutes or until every piece of pork is glistening and well coated. Serve over rice.
Makes 6 servings.