Tuscan Pork Roast in Milk Sauce
This classic Italian pork roast will become a family favorite, and making it in the slow cooker makes it easy for busy days. Serve with buttered green beans, soft polenta and sliced tomatoes.
1 (3-pound) boneless pork shoulder (butt) roast, netted or tied
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups milk - divided use
1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 bay leaf
- Melt butter with oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker with salt and pepper.
- To skillet, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until softened. Add 1/2 cup milk, rosemary and bay leaf to skillet; bring to simmer, stirring constantly, scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet.
- Transfer to slow cooker with 1 1/2 cups remaining milk. Cover and slow-cook on low 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer pork to platter and keep warm.
- Discard bay leaf, skim fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- In medium saucepan bring cooking liquid to boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce is reduced to 1 cup.
- Slice or chop roast, serve with sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 430 calories Protein 40 grams Fat 26 grams Sodium 360 milligrams Cholesterol 145 milligrams Saturated Fat 9 grams Carbohydrates 7 grams Fiber 0 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.