Asian-Glazed Beef Roast with Grilled Bok Choy Salad
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 beef top loin petite roast (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 1/2 pounds bok choy, cut lengthwise in half
4 green onions
1/2 cup Asian style dressing - divided use
1 1/2 cups thin strips English or hothouse cucumber (2x1/8x1/8-inches)
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups thin strips red bell pepper (2x1/8x1/8-inch)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking by igniting equal number of charcoal briquettes on each side of fire grate, leaving space in center. When coals are medium, ash-covered (25 to 30 minutes), add 3 to 4 more briquettes to each side. Place aluminum foil drip pan in center of grate between coals. Position grid with handles over coals so briquettes may be added during grilling as needed.
- Place beef roast, fat-side up in center of grid over drip pan. Brush bok choy and green onions with 2 tablespoon dressing. Arrange bok choy and green onions around roast over coals. Grill roast, covered, 40 to 55 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally and basting with 2 tablespoon dressing during last 10 to 15 minutes. (Add 3 to 4 briquettes per side every 30 minutes to maintain heat level.) Grill green onions 4 to 6 minutes and bok choy 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and lightly browned, turning once; cool slightly.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of beef registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Meanwhile, cut each bok choy half lengthwise in half again, forming quarters; remove and discard cores. Thinly slice bok choy crosswise into thin strips. Thinly slice green onions. Place bok choy and green onions in large bowl. Add cucumber, carrots, bell pepper, cilantro and remaining 1/4 cup dressing; toss. season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Carve roast into slices. Serve with salad.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer's directions for medium indirect heat. Place roast and vegetables on grid as directed in step 2. Grill roast 45 to 60 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness. Grill green onions 5 to 7 minutes; grill bok choy 23 to 28 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 378; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 103mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 40g; Sodium: 458mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.