Chinese Cabbage Salad
A tasty cabbage salad with buttery toasted almonds, sesame seeds and crunchy ramen noodles tossed with a just-right, sweet-tart rice vinegar dressing.
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 medium cabbage, finely shredded
8 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a small skillet; add almonds and sesame seeds and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly; set aside to cool.
- Prepare vegetables and place in large mixing bowl, add the crushed ramen noodles (save the seasoning packets for another use, if desired), almonds and sesame seeds. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately.
- For Dressing: Mix first 4 ingredients in jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Add oil and shake vigorously to blend.
Makes 12 servings.
- For best result when taking this salad to potlucks and other get-togethers, wait until you arrive at the function to combine the salad ingredients with the dressing.
- To make this a delicious entrée salad, add 2 to 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 318.2 calories; 70% calories from fat; 26.5g total fat; 2.5mg cholesterol; 269.5mg sodium; 431.4mg potassium; 21.6g carbohydrates; 4.2g fiber; 8.6g sugar; 17.4g net carbs; 4.9g protein.