Exotic Greens with Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms
Look for sharp-tasting greens like mustard, arugula, mizuna, and dandelion. Temper it all with some red lettuce and endive and combine in any kind of proportion you like.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
6 cups mixed exotic greens
- Whisk first nine ingredients in small bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate. (Vinaigrette can be prepared 4 hours ahead.)
- Bring to room temperature and whisk well before using.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in small, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 2 to 3 minutes until tender.
- Place greens in a large bowl and add vinaigrette.
- Toss to coat, garnish with mushrooms.
Makes 6 servings.