Exotic Mexican Avocado and Tangerine Salad
Looking for new ways to serve avocado? Try this refreshing salad (or salsa) that combines buttery, soft avocado with juicy fresh tangerine, cilantro leaves and red onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
1 cup tangerine juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeño chile, deveined, finely diced
Salt to taste
2 ripe but firm avocados, peeled, cut into large cubes
1 ripe tangerine, peeled, cut into large pieces
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- In a bowl, mix together tangerine juice, canola oil, cilantro, onion, jalapeño and salt. Season to taste.
- Add avocado and tangerine. Mix carefully to avoid damaging the avocado. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve immediately, with tortilla chips.
Makes 4 servings.
- Save the dishes and serve this exotic salad in the hollowed out avocado shell.
- Avocado turns black very quickly so avoid preparation in advance. The rest of the recipes can be made 2 to 3 hour beforehand and kept refrigerated in an air-tight container.
- If jalapeño is to spicy just cut it in half, marinate and then discard.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 330; Total Fat: 29g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Fiber: 8g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 10mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.