Grilled Orzo Salad
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 1/2 cups (6-ounce) pattypan squash, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 1/2 cups (6-ounce) zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
5 ounces radicchio, quartered
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups (1 pound) cooked orzo pasta, cooled to room temperature
2/3 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallots
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup (2-ounce) goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup (1 1/2-ounce) toasted sliced almonds
- In a large mixing bowl, toss squash, zucchini and radicchio with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side until marked and tender. Transfer to a clean cutting board and allow to cool slightly.
- When cooled, dice squash and zucchini into 1/4-inch pieces and shred radicchio into 1/4-inch strips (removing the core), then place into a large mixing bowl. Toss in orzo and California Ripe Olives and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, shallots and thyme. Pour into vegetable and pasta mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Mix in basil, goat cheese and almonds just before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.