Italian Antipasto Salad
The perfect party salad! Guests choose their own toppings from the antipasto platter to add to their salad accompanied with a Parmesan cream dressing.
Parmesan Cream Dressing:
2 fresh egg yolks
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed basil, oregano or thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups dairy sour cream
1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic
1 head escarole
1 head romaine
1 1/2 cups cooked macaroni
1 (8-ounce) can artichoke hearts
1 (8-ounce) can ripe olives
1 (4-ounce) can button mushrooms
1 (4-ounce) can pimentos
1 (4-ounce) can sardines
1 (2-ounce) can anchovies
1/2 cup oil and vinegar dressing
2 to 3 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
8 ounces sliced Wisconsin Provolone cheese
1 tablespoon capers
- For Dressing: Beat together egg yolks, vinegar, salt, mustard and pepper until thick. Carefully fold in sour cream and Parmesan; chill.
- For Salad: Cut garlic and rub bowl. Break escarole and romaine into bowl. Toss in macaroni and chill while preparing Antipasto.
- For Antipasto: Drain artichokes, olives, mushrooms, pimentos, sardines and anchovies. Place in a bowl, add oil and vinegar dressing and allow to marinate in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, drain off marinade, cut artichokes in half and arrange on chilled tray or platter along with mushrooms, sardines, anchovies, tomatoes, onions, eggs, radishes and Provolone cheese. Sprinkle capers over all.
- Serve with Parmesan Cream Dressing and freshly ground black pepper.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.