Red Curried Indonesian Salad
with a Roasted Cashew-Oriental Dressing
Take your family on a dining trip to Indonesia with this complex curred rice and chicken salad with a roasted cashew dressing.
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup lychees, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup lemon grass, finely chopped
1/4 cup pineapple, coarsely chopped
1 cup roasted cashew pieces
3 cups Basmati rice, cooked
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
1 cup yogurt, plain, low-fat and blended with red curry paste (see next ingredient)
1/4 cup red curry paste
1 cup Oriental dressing and marinade
1 cup hot Thai peanut dressing & sauce
6 cups each escarole and endive, torn
1 cup green onion, chopped
2 pounds seedless green and red grapes, halved
2/3 cup muscat raisins
1 cup honey-roasted cashews
- Mix first seven ingredients to create “mixed rice” salad-base.
- Julienne chicken, marinate with half the curried yogurt for at least two hours, refrigerated.
- Roast chicken at 350°F (175°C) until done (approximately 20 minutes). Allow to cool, toss with remaining yogurt.
- Blend the Oriental and Hot Thai peanut dressings in blender or food processor until smooth and combined. Toss in a large bowl with escarole, endives and green onions.
- Arrange “mixed rice” as a border on plate. Place mixed greens in center plate. Top with chicken, grapes, raisins and honey-roasted cashews.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: For a simplified version of this recipe, see Indonesian Chicken and Rice Salad.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Association For Dressings and Sauces.