Santa Fe Chicken on Wild Rice Salad
This terrific recipe for Santa Fe Chicken on Wild Rice Salad was submitted by Patricia Schroedl, Jefferson, WI. The chicken breasts for this salad may also be grilled.
1 cup uncooked wild rice
3 cups water
1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
Dressing (recipe follows)
1 cup seedless green grapes
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions
Romaine lettuce leaves
- In saucepan, place wild rice and water; cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In small bowl, mix together yogurt, lime juice, mustard, garlic, ground cumin and curry powder. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture.
- Place chicken in plastic bag with remainder of marinade and turn to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Prepare Dressing and set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on broiler pan about 5 inches from heat. Broil about 7 minutes; turn chicken, brush with reserved marinade and sprinkle cumin seed evenly on breast halves. Broil an additional 6 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch diagonal strips.
- In medium bowl, mix together rice, grapes, bell pepper and green onions. Add Dressing and toss gently to mix well.
- To serve, line plates with lettuce leaves. Add rice mixture and arrange chicken on top.
Makes 4 servings.
Dressing: In small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves).
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.