Strawberry Pretzel Salad
The baked pretzel crust tastes like salted nuts in this layered strawberry gelatin salad. A favorite side salad (or dessert) at picnics, potlucks and holiday dinners.
2 1/4 cups crushed pretzels
1/2 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 cup melted butter or margarine
2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 (6-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix pretzels with 1/4 cup sugar and melted butter. Press into 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool; set aside.
- Beat together 1/4 cup sugar, frozen whipped topping and cream cheese. Spread over pretzel crust. Cool until firm in refrigerator.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, add strawberries with juice. Pour over pretzel crust and cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: To make a low sugar version eliminate sugar in pretzel crust, use frozen strawberries without sugar in the juice and sugar free gelatin. Other fruits and flavors may be used, if desired.