Turkey Satay Salad with Mango and Mixed Greens
This recipe was developed by Adam Baird of Bestfoods Foodservice in St. Helena, California. The salad recipe was a finalist in the National Turkey Federation "Turkey with a Twist" National Recipe Competition.
2 tablespoons cumin seed
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds turkey breast, cut into thinly sliced strips
24 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 24 hours
Coconut Milk Peanut Dressing:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups coconut milk, heated
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons nam pla (fish sauce)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
16 cups mixed greens, washed and dried
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Lightly toast the cumin seed, cool and grind to a powder. Combine the cumin, turmeric and oil to form a paste. Toss the sliced turkey breast in the herb mixture, coating well. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Thread the marinated turkey evenly onto the pre-soaked skewers with an even distribution of poultry on each skewer. Cover, refrigerate and reserve for service.
- Over low heat, allow the peanut butter to soften in a saucepan. Whisk in the heated coconut milk and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for several minutes. Whisk in the lime juice, fish sauce and soy sauce.
- Grill the reserved turkey skewers until cooked through.
- For each serving, toss 2 cup of the mixed greens with a 1 tablespoon cilantro and 2 ounces of dressing. Place greens on a chilled plate and garnish with fanned mango slices and cucumbers.
- Place 3 warm turkey satay skewers atop each salad and drizzle additional dressing over top of salad.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 420; Calories From Fat: 210; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 13g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 12g; Protein: 36g; Sodium: 760mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.