Focaccia Deli Sandwich
This is a great hot sandwich for parties. Tip: Purchase a loaf of focaccia bread to speed up the preparation of this Italian-style sandwich.
Easy Herbed Focaccia:
1/4 cup olive oil - divided use
1 (32-ounce) package frozen bread dough, thawed
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup fresh rosemary* - divided use
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 pound thinly sliced salami
1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked ham
2 (8-ounce) packages finely shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup pepperoncini slices (12 to 15 peppers)
1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
Suggested Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs, whole pimiento-stuffed olives
- For Easy Herbed Focaccia: Brush a 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil; set aside.
- Turn bread dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times or until smooth.
- Stir together butter, 3 tablespoons rosemary, and Parmesan cheese; gradually knead mixture into bread dough until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour, if necessary.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan. Using fingertips, press small indentations in top of dough; sprinkle with garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon rosemary. Drizzle with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with kosher salt, if desired, and pepper. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F | 30°C), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Sandwich: Cut Easy Herbed Focaccia crosswise in half using a serrated knife; cut each portion lengthwise in half.
- Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of top halves, and spread Dijon mustard over cut sides of bottom halves.
- Layer bottom halves with salami and next 5 ingredients; add top halves.
- Wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil and seal. Place in a 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Cut into 8 squares, and serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*You may substitute 1 tablespoon dried rosemary for 1/4 cup fresh. Divide into 3/4 and 1/4 tablespoon to follow recipe.