Grilled Lamb and California Asparagus Pitas with Tsatsiki Sauce
Recipe courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.
1/2 cucumber peeled and chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 tomatoes, cubed
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 pita pockets, cut in half
1 1/2 pounds lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
1/4 cup mint leaves, whole
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- For Tsatsiki Sauce: purée all ingredients in a blender until almost smooth, about 1 minute. Chill until ready to assemble.
- Toss lamb cubes and asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Grill over a preheated grill until asparagus is
- tender and lamb cubes are cooked to a medium rare. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Lightly grill both sides of the pita breads until heated through yet still soft. Wrap pitas in foil for a few min to steam.
- Divide sandwich ingredients evenly among the 8 pita-halves. Drizzle with the Tsatsiki sauce and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 337; Calories From Fat: 100; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 91mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 14g; Sodium: 334mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Asparagus Commission.