Mini Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Mini ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches dipped in an onion-seasoned egg mixture and fried in butter.
6 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
8 slices of wheat bread
4 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced
4 ounces ham, sliced
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 (2.4-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- Blend 2 tablespoons of of butter with prepared mustard; divide among slices of bread, spreading evenly.
- Divide sliced Swiss cheese and sliced cooked ham equally among half the bread slices (butter side should be facing up so that it will be inside the sandwiches); top with remaining bread, buttered sides also facing in.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles; set aside. Beat eggs, milk and dry onion soup mix in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, coating well.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter, using up to 1 tablespoon per sandwich. Cook the sandwiches, 1 or 2 at a time over medium heat, turning once, until they are golden and the cheese begins to melt. Keep warm and serve immediately when finished.
Makes 8 servings.