Young and old alike will enjoy these fast and tasty pizza-style hot dogs.
2 cups shredded Wisconsin mozzarella or provolone cheese
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
8 hot dog rolls/buns
Ready-made, refrigerated basil pesto for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl combine cheese, tomato paste, sugar, garlic salt and oregano.
- Spread mixture on inside top and bottom of hot dog rolls. Place on baking sheet.
- Split frankfurters in half, but not all the way through. Place on baking sheet with rolls.
- Place under broiler 5 minutes or until frankfurters are cooked and cheese has melted on rolls.
- Serve immediately with franks in rolls. Garnish with basil pesto, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.