Pulled Chicken Sliders with Mango Barbecue Sauce
With a crisp, sweet and spicy jicama slaw and pulled chicken enrobed in a tropical mango barbecue sauce, these sandwiches may be mini, but they're big on flavor. Sliders are popular party food, but don't wait for a party, serve these tasty little bundles anytime!
4 cups shredded rotisserie cooked chicken
12 small slider or dinner rolls
1/2 large jicama
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1.4 teaspoon kosher salt
Mango Barbecue Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger
3/4 cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 mango, pitted, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- For Slaw: Make slaw by shredding jicama in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade. Place in bowl. To jicama, add red and yellow pepper. Toss vegetables with cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, sugar, and salt. Reserve.
- For Mango Barbecue Sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, orange juice, cider vinegar, salt and Dijon mustard. Stir to combine and heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced mango, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Pour into the bowl of food processor and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and add cilantro.
- Stir in shredded (pulled) chicken and heat through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve on small slider rolls. Slaw may be served on top of chicken or on side.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.