Southwestern Grilled Turkey Burgers
with Pineapple Pico de Gallo
Recipe kindly provided by Richard Arakelian, National Executive Chef for the Corporate Services Division of Sodexho Corporate Services.
Pineapple Pico de Gallo:
1/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped green bell peppers
1 tablespoon minced sweet onion
2 tablespoons fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeño, seeds removed
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Dash each salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 (4-ounce) turkey burgers
4 each whole grain roll, split
4 large green leaf lettuce leaves, washed, dried and chilled
- For Pineapple Pico de Gallo: Combine all ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- For Turkey Burgers: Combine chili powder and cumin.
- Place frozen turkey burgers on preheated 350°F (175°C) grill. Season with 1/2 teaspoon chili/cumin mixture. When "puddles of juice" form on the surface (about 3 minutes), turn burgers. Sprinkle surface with another 1/2 teaspoon chili/cumin mixture.
- To Grill: Grill for 3 to 5 more minutes on second side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (73.8°C). Turn burgers one more time to sear surface.
- To Broil: Broil frozen turkey burgers in a preheated broiler, 4-inches from the heat source, for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (73.8°C).
- To Assemble: On base of roll, layer 1 lettuce leaf, cooked turkey burger and top with Pineapple Pico de Gallo. Place top of roll on sandwich and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.