Spicy Braised Brisket Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise: (optional)
1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 clove chopped garlic
1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) beer
2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
1/2 cup beef broth
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
6 to 8 Italian or ciabatta rolls, split
sliced provolone or jalapeño pepper cheese (optional)
- To Make Optional Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Place 1/2 cup jarred chopped roasted red pepper, 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1 clove chopped garlic in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Makes about 2/3 cup.
- Preheat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket; season with salt and black pepper.
- Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat side up, to stockpot. Add beer, chiles, broth and red pepper as desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork-tender.
- Remove brisket. Skim fat from cooking liquid; keep cooking liquid warm. Trim fat from brisket. Cut into 4 to 6 pieces; shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded beef into reserved liquid.
- Serve beef mixture in rolls topped with giardinera, cheese and mayonnaise, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.