The Other Burger
Create a variety of burgers on the grill with different herbs and spices. Use your imagination or one of the variations for other seasoning ideas to give pork burgers an international flair.
1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Gently mix together ground pork and seasonings, shape into 4 burgers about 3/4-inch in thickness.
- Place on grill over moderate-hot coals, lower hood and grill for 5 minutes; turn and finish grilling 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately, on sandwich buns if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- Eastern Burger: To Other Burger basic mix, add 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons dry sherry and 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot.
- Veggie Burger: To Other Burger basic mix, add 3 drops hot pepper sauce, 1 grated carrot and 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- South of the Border Burger: To Other Burger basic mix, add 1/4 teaspoon each: ground cumin, oregano, seasoned salt and crushed red chiles.
- Italian Burger: To Other Burger basic mix, add one crushed garlic clove, one teaspoon crushed fennel seed and 2 teaspoons each: red wine and olive oil.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.